Saturday, December 18, 2010

SX bumper

My old South by Southwest boss, Joe Nicolosi, asked me if I was interested in producing the Bumpers for this year's festival. If you don't know, bumpers are the short little narratives that play before a screening at a festivals. Television stations also use bumpers to advertise for themselves. TBS, MTV, and Nickelodeon are pretty famous for their these. I was really honored that he wanted my help and happily accepted.

He had to pitch his ideas to SXSW Film Festival but they already like a couple them. They ended up picking four of his pithces, but wanted hi
m to come up with a few more to play in front of the documentaries at the festival. I told him about THIS knitting documentary I was doing and offered to let him use a piece of it as the doc bumper. He, and his bosses, loved the idea and now here we are. The basic idea for the bumper is that we will take a piece of a good interview, splice in some B Roll of knitting and yarn bombing, then have Magda or someone yarn bomb the camera.

I'm a little nervous of how his bumper will portray my subject matter, but I'm excited by the prospect of it creating a lot of buzz. He's going to put up a credit that says, "for more information about this documentary please go here..." I just hope Joe and I don't step on each others' toes. On one hand, this is my documentary and on the other hand, this is his bumper. I'm sure it will be fine. We've worked together before.


By the way, Here's my favorite bumper from last year's SXSW: Sewing Machine.

No comments:

Post a Comment